Friday, November 27, 2009
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
Meanwhile... Lucky Penny was good last night- catch the full report here.
Friday, October 30, 2009
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Monday, October 19, 2009
Friday, September 25, 2009
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Never having worked in a traditional manner before, I found it a bit of a challenge… you have to be careful when you work light-on-white (white-on-white was just a little too scary). The piece was worked with a design traced onto it with a water-based disappearing marker, then the outlines were backstitched on, then finished off with a whip-stitch, which really polished off the look! Part of the effort involved was keeping away bits of fluff and fibres which would get caught into the stitch-work. Particularly difficult when working in the presence of a very fluffy black cat…!
I was able to take a few pictures upon completion. I really love the crumpled up-look of the just-washed-pillowslips, particularly as they catch the morning light.
Once I had ironed them- starch spray is your best friend when working with good quality cotton. I folded them into a box, tied a bow, then added a gorgeous Rob Ryan card.
Monday, August 31, 2009
Saturday, August 22, 2009
Thursday, August 6, 2009
I'm in a little bit of project overload, so I've decided to list, just for the sake of listing:
- Bridesmaid dress x1- my sister is getting married soon, and I'm a bridesmaid. For lack of anything suitable to wear, I've decided to make a dress. Simple and stylish is all that is needed.
- Gift for aforementioned wedding- a gift that will have to be kept a secret at the moment. But when complete (and post wedding) I shall show you.
- Borders on the blanket- my endless project, a luxe yet homespun looking (bed-size, not knee-size) patchy blanket; presently on hold as my wool supply has run out.
- The new jewellery project- thankfully I can only work on this in class time. I'm making a hair-comb with a large turquoise stone set into it. Very mermaid-y.
- The scarf from bad wool- a multicoloured scarf from a kind of yucky acrylic wool. Knitting for the sake of knitting...
- Additional extras- a barely started painting, new things for craft fairs, and I've been wanting to make a matryoscka doll softie (but think I will leave that for Lucky Penny time)
...Is that all???
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
The first Lucky Penny will be held on the 4th August from 7.30pm, so I hope to see you there! All for coffee,cake and craft I say!
Sunday, June 21, 2009
Monday, June 15, 2009
Monday, March 30, 2009
Monday, March 23, 2009
Complex. I love art-deco. You may recall this piece from this drawing from an earlier post. I was trying to push myself with learning new skills which made for a challenging piece. I added lapis lazuli for a jolt of colour, and enamel for its glass-like effect.
Simple. With a deadline and a need for a break from complex pieces, I chose to make a simple necklace for my sister’s birthday. I took the time however, to consider how you can make a simple cut-out shape more intriguing. Lovely. I’m now re-using the shape (same-same but different) for a necklace for myself, which I will show you in time.